Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Caregivers' Forum Caregivers' Forum

Topic: Alzheimer's or Dementia?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
chelsea avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/8/2009 3:56 PM ET

Memory loss and sudden violent outbursts (verbal and physical), unfortunately, are part of this disease.  Your husband has no control over his actions and words.  If his doctor is not a neurologist, you might consider making an appt for a neuro evaluation, especially if you are concerned about meds.  You may want to see another neurologist for a second opinion.

A support group for yourself is a must.

Excellent resources  for other info have been mentioned above.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Yes, Joyce, I wonder the same thing!
Date Posted: 10/19/2010 10:55 AM ET

How is it my 86yr old Father-in-law can remember there is candy in the house, but not tostop blowing his nose at the table.  I think that's one thing that makes taking care of him so hard.  It's not logical.  I guess there is nothing logical about dementia.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/24/2012 1:35 PM ET

How do you get somebody to go for an evaluation when they are convinced there is nothing wrong with them? (and/or are flat out terrified of hearing that yes, they may have it)?

retirement avatar
Subject: Dementia
Date Posted: 3/3/2013 5:30 PM ET

I personally experience the dementia problem with my mother in law.  The sun downer effect can be scary for all concerned.  I was browsing this forrum for resources for my site on assisted living and have noted some sites mentioned.

jenn6733 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/10/2015 1:39 AM ET

Last Edited on: 2/6/15 9:10 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: