Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Large Print and Audio

Topic: AUDIO's -- Who are your favorite narrators?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Subject: AUDIO's -- Who are your favorite narrators?
Date Posted: 2/27/2015 6:06 PM ET

I'm just starting to get into audiobooks, and have checked a few out of the library.  One narrator that I liked was Michael Beck.  There was also one woman (forgot to write down her name) that I definitely Did Not like -- very nasal and whiney.  I'll have to backtrack my library records to find the name.  I was amazed that an author/publisher would use someone who's voice was so hard to listen to.. 

So, I looked around the forum and found nothing pertaining to the narrators.  Does the narrator play a part in the audio's you choose?  Who do you like / dislike and why?

Last Edited on: 3/1/15 11:09 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
rhyta avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/4/2015 7:50 PM ET

Narrators can make or break an audiobook production.  Most times I find I like the narrators, though some take a bit of time to get used to.  I am assuming that you listen to John Grisham books?  That is what I found on a search for Michael Beck, funny that he was the male lead in Xanadu with Olivia Newton-John.  Many actors gravitate to audio.

I read a lot of mystery and fantasy/sci-fi and listen to some on audio.  My faves are Simon Vance (does all kinds of things, I enjoyed him for His Majesty's Dragon series), Lisette LeCat for the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (makes me feel I am in Botswana, wonderful voice), Susan Eriksen for the In Death series by J.D. Robb, she does a decent Irish accent for Roarke and the one who got me into audio books is Jim Dale of Harry Potter fame, love him!

p.s.  there is a good group of audiophiles at Goodreads, I have learned a lot from them and about narrators and such.

Last Edited on: 3/4/15 7:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 3/4/2015 10:13 PM ET

Thanks, Karen.  Actually, the audiobook with Michael Beck was a Grisham, although I don't generally like his books.  This one was Street Lawyer and I totally enjoyed it.  I'll list your recommendations in my audio info file. 

I joined GoodReads ages ago, but have never taken time to learn my way around the site.  I'll have to check out the audiophile group!