Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - eBook readers eBook readers

Topic: ADE with Mac

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: ADE with Mac
Date Posted: 11/3/2015 5:55 PM ET

I updated my Mac with the new OS. And I just need to comment that I've been having a nightmare with Adobe Digital Editions. Everything went pretty smooth except ADE. It failed to migrate. It is not working. Adobe Help recommends deactivating it and reactivating it. Guess what? Refuses to deactivate.

I do store all my books in Calibre as ADE is so hard to organize. But I still use ADE.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2015 7:25 PM ET

I worry about upgrading to Win 10.  I've done it on my netbook and my desktop but I don't have much at all on those computers.  I hesitate on my laptop because of ADE and B&N and Calibre.  It's all configured perfectly.  I'm not sure how I did it last year when I got the new laptop but I got it all transferred over and I'm still able to de-DRM my ebooks.

My best advice is to google the problem, someone's probably had it before and there's a solution out there.

EmilyKat avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2015 8:47 PM ET

The Adobe help was pretty useless. Overdrive actually had a really helpful page. I found the hidden file to delete to reset ADE. Yeah!

EmilyKat avatar
Date Posted: 12/22/2015 1:21 PM ET

I'm here to vent. I went on to the 3M Cloud from my library. It reauthorized my ADE. There were these vague selections, one was to authorize the 3M. I had no idea that the evil button would deauthorize my computer and lock it up.

I can't figure out how to undo this without the password. Which 3M set up. Going to try the library website again...

Can I express how much I hate ADE? The help is useless.

Update. Was able to log out of 3M and log in with my own ADE password. Whew.

Last Edited on: 12/22/15 1:30 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/22/2015 8:04 PM ET

That's strange.  I was in 3M last night for the first time in a couple of weeks because a library book came up.  Had problems downloading it, said this computer was not authorized.  I haven't changed anything at all on my computer.  I figured it was my library card since my library makes you show up in person once a year to re-confirm all your info before restoring your lending ability.  I logged out of 3M and back in and still got an error message but it did download the library book.

I have a completely different user ID on 3M than I do for my ADE.  Might be the same email address, I'm not quite sure, it's been so long since I set up ADE.

EmilyKat avatar
Date Posted: 12/23/2015 12:37 PM ET

The 3M library required the Adobe ID right before check out.  Of course I did not remember my Adobe ID and password off the top of my head. It set set a new Adobe ID for me, based on my library card.

The 3M looked like it did not successfully download my book. But the book was in my ADE file folder.