Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: A1c is 10.4

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: A1c is 10.4
Date Posted: 6/3/2015 6:27 PM ET

it was 10.7 and it have been up to 14 a few yrs ago, I have lost 55lb in a year and two months, I had the gastro sleeve done, im going through some stomach problems since surgery, sever heartburn, vomiting, now I have a fatty liver and gallstone, waiting to see what the dr wants to be done.  I just want to lower my a1c, im on metformin, victoza and just starting glimepiride again, I was taken off a while ago and dr decided to put me back on yesterday.  I also take atorvastatin, bisacodyl, amitriptyline (for pain), famotidine.

She told me to eat low carb and that I can eat as much fruit as I like...

I want to do smoothie and been reading up on them but its so much things to buy and I need to buy a juicer,  The diabetic dr said to buy the read made can shakes, like Glucerna and  boost glucose control that its cheaper then buying a juicer and all the fruit/veggie I will need to make them.

I have been trying to exercise but its hard I have fibromyalgia and my knees hurt a lot.  I did a four mile walk and couldn't move the next day.  I tried to go to the gym but I feel so out of place there.

I just wish this was easy to do, have the right food to eat, be able to exercise with out hurting.

I have been reading about diabetes, fibromyalgia and dealing with my stomach problems.

I am feeling so sad right now,

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/9/2017 9:06 AM ET

I know this is an old post, but since you are an active member still, I thought I would respond. If you are still having blood glucose problems, fruit and smoothies aren't really going to help. Milk and fruit are HIGH in carbs. Boost and Ensure help with protein if you are unable to eat enough. Both companies make a glucose reduced version of their product.

My suggestion is to get the Dr Atkins book and follow his program to see if that helps. It was originally designed to help diabetics. You are very low carb for just a couple of weeks. Then you add back some carbs. Ultimately, you will have 35-45 grams carbs per day vs. The stupid ADA recommendation of 45 per meal. 

After 6 years, I found out that I wasn't even type 2, but have LADA (type 1 developed much much later) so I'm just on insulin now. Still, low carb has helped reduce the amount of insulin I need. 

Last Edited on: 6/9/17 9:10 AM ET - Total times edited: 2