Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: May 2023

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: May 2023
Date Posted: 5/1/2023 2:24 PM ET

Hello!  Let's kick off May! 

I'm reading Ahab's Wife, and now that I'm a bit farther into it, I am starting to enjoy it.  I've never read Moby Dick, and so perhaps I am not getting and will not get everything out of the book that I should, but I'm not going to set it aside until such time as I've read Moby Dick, so things will have to be what they will be. 

I am listening to Tears of Amber by Sofia Segovia, and I am really enjoying it. 

What's everyone else reading this month?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/3/2023 5:19 AM ET

Finished A Good Time Coming by C.S. Harris, a Civil War HF.  An excellent read, the author found countless letters, diaries and other writings by women who lived during this period.  She realized that it was unacceptable for women of that time to mention rape so they referred to such incidents in subtle ways.  Likewise, men would not even acknoledge their sweethearts and wives if they should be raped.  It's an enlightening read from that aspect.  Most of the incidents in the book were found in her research.  Very good read, 4 stars.

Last Edited on: 5/8/23 4:39 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2023 7:50 AM ET

Murder in the Lincoln White House (Lincoln's White House, Bk 1) by  C. M. Gleason

4 stars out of 5. 

Set in March 1861 at President's Lincoln inauguration. I very much enjoyed this book. She writes her characters very well. You want to get to know them. Our main character, Adam Quinn, is from Kansas and has know link since childhool. Ms. Gleason of  President Lincoln is a mild man who is trying to do right by the country. She brings alive the issue of slavery and the fear of the Free people of color who lived in Washington DC at that time.  She does a wonderful description of fashion at the inaugeral ball and dealing with all the hoop skirts.  I hope to find book 2 and read that soon.

---------

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/11/2023 7:05 AM ET

I finshed  The Mistletoe and Sword by Anya Seton. 3 stars out of 5.  Anya Seton is won of our early HF writers, this book was first published in 1955. I have read many of her other books and liked them a lot. This one I felt was rushed it is only 253 pages and it jumps from month to month quickly with out a lot of filler. It is set in 60 AD Englad with Rome invading. The writing is lovely, clear and crisp.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/14/2023 6:48 PM ET

Hello, all!  Sounds like everyone is reading some good books.  Add me to the list.  I just finished listening to Tears of Amber by Sofia Segovia, the same author who wrote another favorite of mine, The Murmur of Bees.  This one was very good too.  Heartbreakingly sad, but beautifully written, and one can't help but be amazed at the resiliancy of the human spirit and the ability of some people to keep their humanity in some very brutal times.  Five stars for sure.  I'm still reading Ahab's Wife, and I started listening to Homecoming by Kate Morton this afternoon. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/15/2023 10:00 PM ET

Reading The Splendour Falls by Susanna Kearsley.  It's a quite good read.

Last Edited on: 5/18/23 10:36 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2023 6:02 PM ET

Am I the only one in the universe that doesn't love Kate Morton books?  I mean, I don't dislike them necessarily, but I am definitely not a super fan.  I think I've only read one before (can't think of which one), and I was "eh" on it.  I'm currently listening to her newest, Homecoming,and frankly, I find it a bit dull.  I think my biggest problem is that while I don't mind a dual timeline, I prefer it when MORE of the book happens in the past.  This one, so far, has been predominantly (or so it feels) in the present - although I did read one review where someone griped they would've preferred more of the story to be told in the present day.  Anyway, I will finish it, and I do own a few other books from her, which I will probably read at some point, but I'm just not in love with this author. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/22/2023 6:47 AM ET

I finished The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryan and Little Souls by Sandra.

Little Souls is set in Denver during 1918 towards the end of WWI and Spanish Flu outbreak. It brought back lots of memories of Covid pandemic.

Shelley some of Kate Morton's books are okay, other's are so so.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/27/2023 7:19 PM ET

Just finished reading Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund.  Pretty good.  I was a bit turned off by the first chapter or so, but I persevered.  The first line drew me in, which helped.  It set the tone for the strong, interesting main character, Una, wife of Captain Ahab.  I've never read Moby Dick, and possibly if I had I would've drawn even more from the book, but it was compelling.  It dragged a bit in parts - lots of introspection and flowery prose, which I generally can't abide - but there was also some adventures.  I liked how the other characters were fairly fleshed out and interesting as well.  All in all, a long but good read. 

I'm still listening to Homecoming by Kate Morton, which is also pretty good.  I find it's getting better.  

Next up for reading is The Wonder by Emma Donoghue.  I have the movie in my Netflix queue, but I want to read the book first.  

I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend!