Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: 2022 Paranormal Reading Challenge

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2022 7:45 AM ET

I am reading Crowbones by Anne Bishop. It is really good. Outstanding world builiding. Love this series.

bookmuncher avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/29/2022 5:18 PM ET

I've been working on my library reminder list the past week or two and I just read a couple I liked fairly well:

Star Eater by Kerstin Hall - A somewhat dark fantasy set in a somewhat higher-tech world than most fantasy, with an unusual magical system that takes a while to come clear as you read. The main plot is political and to do with the position of women in the society here. I'll be really interested to see if she does more with this world and, if so, what (this is her second book and second series, and she has the second book in the other series coming out this summer).

The Art of Saving the World by Corinne Duyvis - Young adult fantasy, quite good although it did remind me what I don't love about YA (all the agonizing about identity etc.).

I'm also catching up on Guy Gavriel Kay, whose books I used to read as they came out, but I've gotten behind over the past 15 years or so. I read A Brightness Long Ago, which is the 2nd in a series, and I just got the new 3rd book, All the Seas of the World, from the library to start  soon.

What's everyone else up to book-wise this long weekend?

bookmuncher avatar
Date Posted: 12/12/2022 7:48 AM ET

Just checking: Is anybody else interested in taking up this thread for next year?

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/12/2022 8:40 AM ET

Hi Rebecca. I already have two reading challenges (cozy and historical fiction) that is enough to run. I would love to see this one continue

bookmuncher avatar
Date Posted: 12/12/2022 10:20 AM ET

I'll do it if nobody else does - I just figured I'd ask around. I'll post in my box too.

bookmuncher avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2022 1:44 PM ET

I thought I'd posted this earlier but it apparently got lost! I'm getting ready to post the 2023 paranormal challenge, and I have a tentative list of categories - anyone have thoughts about these?

Including: suggestions for category names, suggestions for other categories, and thoughts about whether you'd prefer "Next in series" vs. "Latest in series".

CATEGORIES:

1. The Latest - Published in 2023
  2. Switching Things Up - New-to-you author
  3. To Be Continued - Next in a series you're following [or maybe "Latest in a series" instead]
  4. Beyond the Grave - Vampires, zombies, ghosts, skeletons, etc.
  5. Shifty Creatures - Werewolves and other shapeshifters
  6. Uncommon Beasts - Cryptids and other mythological creatures
  7. Spell Books - Witches and other magical practitioners
  8. Scary Stuff - Dystopian and horror
  9. Love Actually - Paranormal romance and/or HEA (happily ever after) ending
  10. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Young adult
  11. Secrets & Lies - Paranormal mystery and spy fiction
  12. Spaceships, Robots & Aliens, Oh My! - Science fiction
  13. Twisted Realities - Time travel, alternate history, parallel worlds
  14. Gathering Dust - Been on your TBR more than 1 year
  15. Color Wheel - Color in title or on cover

BONUS: