Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: 2022 Historical Mystery Reading Challenge Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: 2022 Historical Mystery Reading Challenge Discussion
Date Posted: 11/20/2021 12:09 PM ET

This Topic for for Discussion and Questions around our 2022 HIstorical Mystery Challenge. All books must be historical mysteries.

To reserve a spot Go to 2022 HIstorical Reading Challenge List only

A few are carry overs from last year

1. Shiny New – Read a historical mystery released for the first time in 2022
  2. Nice to Meet You- Read a historical mystery by a new to you author
  3. Next in Line -- Read the next book in a historical mystery series that you are read
  4. Europe - Read a Historical Mystery set in Europe
  5. 1900-1920 -  Read a Historical Mystery  set between 1900 and 1920.
  6. Poison - Read a Historical Mystery with something marked poison on cover, title or someone is poisoned in the novel.
  7. Country or City - Read a Historical mystery that has a name of country or City in the title.
  8. The VOTE -  Read a historical mystery that mentions women's suffrage.
  9. SPY - Read a historical mystery that one of the characters is a spy.
  10. Husband and Wife - Read a historical mystery that features a husband and wife pair. (They may work together or against one another)
  11. Manmade Structure -  Read a historical mystery that has a picture of a manmade structure on cover (bridge, building pyramid etc)
  12. Pick You Own Category
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/20/2021 2:25 PM ET

Thanks, Alice! I’m in!

bookmuncher avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/19/2022 11:01 AM ET

I just caught up on the Maggie Hope mysteries (by Susan Elia Macneal), which I was behind on by four books, and slotted them into four different categories - and I could have covered more categories if I had more books. They definitely have some anachronisms, mainly in tone and how people think (and I think a few errors with US vs. UK usage), but they're a lot of fun. And they cover a lot of ground.