Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: It's May 2021 = What Are You Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: It's May 2021 = What Are You Reading?
Date Posted: 5/6/2021 10:32 AM ET

Reading:

Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton

Bicycle Love: Stories of Passion, Joy and Sweat edited by Garth Battista

Finished:

John Quincy Adams: American Visionary by Fred Kaplan

The Real Girl Next Door by Denise Richards

Love & Terror on the Howling Plains of Nowhere by Poe Ballantine

Monkey Mind by Daniel Smith

Playing for More by Case Keenum with Andrew Perloff

Captive Audience by Lucas Mann

I'm Living Your Dream Life: The Story of a Northwoods Resort Owner by Michele VanOrt Cozzens

Caught by Lisa Moore

Last Edited on: 5/31/21 9:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 11
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/6/2021 12:27 PM ET

I am about half way through The Girl Who Takes an Eye For an Eye, by David Lagercrantz.  This is the fifth book in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series, and I must say, Lagercrantz, who took over the series after the original author Stieg Larsson (books 1-3), unexpectedly died, does a very respectable job of matching the tone, suspense and faithful character presentation of the original books.  This is quite the fast paced page turner.  The sixth book is out, and I will soon be diving into that one!  Highly recommended.

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/9/2021 1:04 PM ET

Since I watched Lady Sings The Blues with Diana Ross last night, for the umpteenth time, I thought I'd dig into the book.

The movie took artistic license from Holiday's story, I have been lead to believe. I'm hoping to get more of a sense of who Holiday was. I want to know her story. I'll come back with a review.

Last Edited on: 5/9/21 1:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/9/2021 4:27 PM ET

Finished this month: 

Ready for Love by Debbie Macomber 

Charmed & Enchanted by Nora Roberts

Memory Man by David Baldacci 

The Patriot Threat by Steve Berry. 

The Last Mi!e by David Baldacci 

Wish List by Fern Michaels

City of Bones by Michael Connelly 

Dying Breath by Wendy Corsi Staub 

Past Imperfect by Margaret Maron 

The Venetian Judgment by David Stone 

Rebel Waltz by Kay Hooper

Currently reading: Find Me by Carol O'Connell

Last Edited on: 5/29/21 7:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
ErinMc avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/12/2021 5:53 AM ET

Currently reading: Summer on the Bluffs by Sunny Hostin. I am half way through and it is Very Good. This is her first novel but there are more I hear.

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/13/2021 6:29 PM ET

Apparently,  Holidays book"Lady Sings The Blues" is not much more factual than the movie of the same name. 

Holiday claims she took part in the writing of " Strange Fruit " , but Abel Meeropol wrote both the lyrics and the music.

Her parents never married, although she claims they did. Her father may or may not have been a WW1 veteran. 

She was sent to a harsh catholic reform s hool when she was 10. She was beaten and molested by the time she was 13. She then did time in a whorehouse. School and police records etc do verify this.

Her drug habit started when she was with her first husband. She doesn't go into particulars, but admits he was a drug user when she married him. She later married Luis McCay after divorcing number 1.

Her affairs with Orson Wells, Charles Laughton  and Tallulah Bankhead were apparently edited from her book

Nevertheless,  I enjoyed reading her POV. I have been a fan for a long time. Her life was hard. I hope she's in heaven,  singing her songs . It was what she loved doing most in life.

Last Edited on: 5/26/21 9:32 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/26/2021 7:07 AM ET

Out for Blood - John Peyton Cooke

Meg- Steve Alten

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/24/2021 2:56 PM ET

I so appreciate the review of Lady Sings the Blues.

I think my appreciaton of Billie Holiday came from my infatuation with Diana Ross.  Just a huge fan of Diana and the Supremes, from way way back.  So I saw Lady Sings the Blues in the theatres a 100 years ago, back in the day. And LOVED it.

Saw the movie again recently on TV and it held up in most parts, but seemed kind of "quaint" in others.  Isn't that revealing???   Times have sure changed.

Just thankful about a reminder about this film, the star, and the subject from the above poster.