Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Biographies & Memoirs

Topic: 2021 Lists - Nonfiction, Biographies and Memoirs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/27/2021 7:36 AM ET

Just finished 52 Bible Verses You Should Have In Your Heart by B & H Publishing. 3 stars. I used this for part of my morning quiet time. It's a short devotion each day & served its purpose well. I needed something not too lengthy as the end of the school year was wrapping up. 

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 5/27/2021 9:39 AM ET

Just finished Start by Jon Acuff & really enjoyed it...4 stars. It's about goal setting, stopping the average cycle, 5 stages of life (learning, editing, mastering, harvesting, guiding). I felt it had a lot of good content I'll apply being that I started a new job this past January.  

ShaylaB avatar
Date Posted: 5/28/2021 11:12 PM ET

Just finished Redefining Anxiety by John Delony 3 stars I read this bc I know a few people that suffer from anxiety & I wanted a better understanding of it. 

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: July book
Date Posted: 7/31/2021 11:15 PM ET

And I owe two more for the nonfiction box, so I should stay on track for my one a month goal.

The Power of Half: One Family's Decision to Stop Taking and Start Giving Back Author: Hannah SalwenKevin Salwen

This was a fascinating story. One family decided to sell their house and buy another at half the cost, and then donate the half of the money they saved. It was interesting how they were very thoughtful about how they chose to donate the money, and about how they felt they grew closer through the experience.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Here's another!
Date Posted: 8/24/2021 10:29 PM ET

Jesus Swagger: Break Free from Poser Christianity
Author: Jarrid Wilson

This was really interesting. I decided to put it on my keeper shelf, because I believe I will get more out of it several times if I reread it!

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: One more read!
Date Posted: 9/21/2021 11:19 PM ET

I read this the day I got it. I couldn't put it down.

Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God
Author: Dennis LinnSheila Fabricant LinnMatthew Linn

It was very related to the book I am reading for Sunday School, which also discusses some of the ramifications of adopting the views of St. Anselm, though they are only theories.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Two More
Date Posted: 10/18/2021 9:36 AM ET

I read the first one last month and forgot to post, but just finished the second one:

1. Dragonholder Author: Todd J. Mccaffrey
  2. Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern Author: Todd McCaffrey (Editor)Leah Wilson (Editor)

The first one was sort of a biography of Anne McCaffrey's life so far. (It was published much earlier.) This was written by her son, and the writing was just so-so. 

The second one was a collection of memories of Anne McCaffrey by various people, and Todd McCaffrey had put in a little explanation of the relationship before each one. His writing was much improved at this point!

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: And…
Date Posted: 10/22/2021 9:11 PM ET

This one I read a few months ago and forgot to record it.

I didn't find the entire book relevant, but I did find several good ideas.

Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life
Author: Marie KondoScott Sonenshein

Page: