Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2019 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/27/2019 10:28 PM ET

I have a couple in that series Alice.  I like it also.  I have several of her Crochet series also. Letters L and W are in the next author swap.

Correction:  the Crochet series is by Betty Hechtman.   Between these two authors I have all the letters for the next author swap.

Last Edited on: 10/28/19 9:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/30/2019 9:14 AM ET

YIPPEE,  So excited I actually finished the challenge already.  Thought I needed a beverage book and realized I had already read one with Coffee in the sub title.  

I have some of the Lea Wait books too.  I need to make time to revisit them. 

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Not Even Close
Date Posted: 10/30/2019 5:01 PM ET

I don't know whether I will finish this challenge this year. I did a lot of rereading of old favorite books this year, and it didn't leave much time for reading cozies. But I am in the mood for cozies now; maybe I'll go on a streak.I'm reading one for Alice now for another swap; it is #1 in the Shaker mystery series, so if I like it I could knock off a bunch all at once by continuing the series.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 11/1/2019 1:32 PM ET

I'm drinking (reading) my last beverage book which will complete the challenge I set for myself this year.  I may add a few more cozies to the list before the end of the year.

Reading Live and Let Chai by Bree Baker that's the first of a new series.  Easy to read and enjoyable.

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2019 10:35 AM ET

I just finished The Bodies in the Library by Marty Wingate. Ths is a new series set in England. I enjoyed the characters and setting. It does have a few faults but they will more than likely work out in upcoming books. Ms. Wingate also writes The Potting Shed series and Birds of a Feather series, both of which are well written.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2019 10:51 AM ET

Looks good Mary I added it to my WL

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2019 1:17 PM ET

I decided to tackle my Crochet Mystery series by Betty Hechtman before I dive into all my Christmas books.   Especially since I used one of the newer ones in a swap reveal and have several to read before that one.  So starting my third one for the weekend today.  Other two I read are on my bookshelf.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/6/2019 6:58 AM ET

I am reading a good new cozy Wine and Punishment by Sarah Fox. It is set in Vermont. It is a pub that has literature inspired drinks. Nicely written. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/7/2019 5:27 PM ET

I am reading Killer in the Carriage House. Book 2 In Sheila Connolly's Victorian Village series

I like her apple orchard series a lot her County Cork and Musuem series haven't gotten ahead of me. 

Not sure about this Victorian Village series. Love the concept (saving an old town, but takes a long time to get to the point.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/11/2019 7:05 AM ET

I am reading Murder Under the Covered Bridge. Book two in the series. Very good cozy featuring active seniors. I like the characters a lot

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/11/2019 8:10 AM ET

I'm reading A Merry Murder by Kate Kingsbury.  It's great to reconnect with the staff at the Pennyfoot Hotel. It been a long time since the last book in this series and I'm really enjoying it.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/12/2019 6:35 AM ET

I am starting to think of categories for our 2020 cozy mystery challenge any suggestions? Any old favorites you want brought back?

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/21/2019 7:01 AM ET

I will post the 2020 challange soon  still taking suggestions

Last Edited on: 11/21/19 7:01 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/24/2019 8:18 PM ET

I am in reading funk can't find anything I really want to read. So I go looking for  cozy series I really like I found one!!

Murder Plainly Read by Isabella Alan. I forgot how well written this series is. This is book 5 unfortunately she only wrote 6 in this series. She also writes under Amanda Flower name.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2019 7:56 PM ET

Read this today Fury Godmother (Federal Bureau of Magic Cozy Mystery)by Annabel Chase it is the second book in this series and it was so fun and laugh out loud funny.  I really enjoyed the first one too!  I am hoping to get my hands on the third one soon.  

Suggestion for next years challenge not sure if we have done this before.

Seasons a book for each one: Winter,Spring,Summer&Autumn

Last Edited on: 11/26/19 8:06 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/27/2019 1:21 PM ET

the 2020 challenge is posted

2020 Cozy Mystery List Topic

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/22/2019 6:58 PM ET

I have too many books to read but I want to get in a christmas cozy before Christmas.

I decided on A Killer Carol by Laura Bradford. I like this series a lot.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Christmas Cozy
Date Posted: 12/22/2019 9:23 PM ET

My Christmas cozy will be the newest in the Josi Kilpack series about Sadie. I just ordered it from Amazon and I can't wait till it gets here!

Page: