Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Young Adult

Topic: 2016-2017 - What Are You Reading in YA?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/24/2016 7:44 PM ET

AdriftPaul Griffin

I really enjoyed this one.  I will want to read more of his books.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/4/2016 12:04 AM ET

Operation Rhino (White Giraffe, Bk 5):  Lauren St. John         Read every book in this YA series.  I will be waiting on the next.

Jaguar (Jacob Lansa, Bk 2) : Roland Smith                           Waiting for the next in this YA series.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2016 5:41 PM ET

Just finished Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat whose work I always enjoy.  The author often pits his characters against the frigid north.  In this one two teenage boys are stranded far away from home when their canoe capsizes and is destroyed in wicked rapids.  It's exciting, fun and so enjoyable.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/18/2016 5:57 PM ET

EndangeredEliot Schrefer           I loved the first 2 in this series.   I will be waiting on the 3rd.  Rescued (Ape Quartet #3)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/2/2016 9:59 AM ET

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a most entertaining read.  The theatrical format was fun.  I found myself moving quickly from one short act to the next.  The new villain is incredibly powerful and more than a match for Harry Potter..  ln addition, I liked the next generaltion of the characters. Albus and Scorpius are indeed enteraining as these teenagers seek to right wrongs they perceive as created by their parents.  I liked it but I must admit that I am a Harry Potter fan.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/11/2016 12:07 AM ET

Siren:   Tricia Rayburn        I really liked this one.

Waking Storms (The Lost Voices Trilogy):  Sarah Porter       The 2nd in the series.  I will be waiting on the 3rd.

Mutation (Cryptid Hunters, Bk 4) : Roland Smith           The 4th in the series.  I have read all 4.

Never Say Die  : Will Hobbs     This book surprised me.  The story of the "grolar" bear (half grizzly, half polar bear) surprised me.  I loved it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/28/2016 9:58 PM ET

The Shade of the Moon: Life As We Knew It Series, Book 4: Susan Beth Pfeffer          i enjoyed this whole series.

The Winter Pony: Iain Lawrence                               I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/29/2016 4:15 PM ET

Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney and Mister Max, The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voigt are very good for different reasons.  The former takes us back to the time of Helen of Troy through the eyes of a fictional young woman who disguises herself as a young princess who was killed.  While beautiful, we see Helen as a selfish woman who loves murder and mayhem.  I liked the author's portrayal of Helen as well as her afterward in which she explains what she did and why..  Mister Max is the story of a young boy whose theatrical parents disappear.  To cope with his situation he begins helping people find lost things posing as different characters during his investigations.  It's fun and the reader can look forward to more adventures of this delightful character..

Last Edited on: 12/22/16 7:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/16/2016 11:56 PM ET

Numbers Book 2: The ChaosRachel Ward                    I will be waiting on Book 3.

Venus Among the FishesScott O'DellElizabeth Hall      This is listed under Teen/YA/Children's genre.  It tells the story of a dolphin's life.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/8/2017 11:33 PM ET

Hippie Chick : Joe Monninger        This is a Teen/YA/Children's book that I was really surprised by.  If you like survival stories, nature, animals (manatees), you will definitely like this one.

Tides  : Betsy Cornwell                       Listed under Teen/YA/Children's genre.  I liked it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/10/2017 8:35 PM ET

The self published series All for the Game by Nora Sakavic is outstanding.  Bought the series for a family member for Christmas and have read the first two, The Foxhole Court and The Raven King.  Both are very good.  Can't wait to get the third, The King's Men.  Bought the series for our library system as there are no copies statewide in the system.

Last Edited on: 1/25/17 4:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/18/2017 9:48 PM ET

Secrets and Shadows (Secret Zoo, Bk 2)Bryan Chick         

I will be waiting on book 3 of this Children/YA book.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/28/2017 2:21 PM ET

Wow!   All in the Game series is outstanding.  Just finished The King's Men by Nora Sakavic.  I really hope this self-published series takes off.  It's about a young man who plays exy, a highly competitive team game.  When he is recruited to play on a low rated team his life changes.  It's all he wants to do.  After running from his father for years he is ready to do something for himself.  His mother was severely beaten by his father and dies so Neil is all alone.  And, he doesn't want anybody to know  who he really is.  Hiding his identity, he becomes quite visible when his talented playing and his "big" mouth get him into the sporting news reports.  That's dangerous - so dangerous he might not survive.  This is the final book in the trilogy and the Foxes have developed a team that works together so well on the exy court that they are becoming competitive.  That, too, is dangerous.  Good, good read.  For me, it's spellbinding.

Last Edited on: 2/12/17 10:50 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/12/2017 9:23 AM ET

Reading another in The Squire's Tales series, The Legend of the King.  I so enjoy this series for the young at heart.  It's sad to see Arthur's kingdom come to an end but I really like the way Morris tells this tale.  Now reading Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, the first of a series I thought I would enjoy.  Finished but uncertain how I feel about it.  There are others in the series so I think I might check out the second.  

Last Edited on: 3/13/17 8:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 11:42 PM ET

Breakdown (Stay Alive, Bk 3) : Joseph Monninger            I like this series of YA/Children books.

Stranded : Ben Mikaelsen                                                  I really liked this YA/Children book about pilot whales.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/5/2017 12:25 AM ET

The Burning Horizon (Seekers: Return to the Wild, Bk 5):  Erin Hunter    I enjoyed this next book in the series of this YA/Children book.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/18/2017 9:52 PM ET

Wish  : Joseph Monninger

Bees brother, Tommy, knows everything there is to know about sharks. He also knows that his life will be cut short by cystic fibrosis. And so does Bee. —  — Thats why she wants to make his wish-foundation-sponsored trip to swim with a great white shark an unforgettable memory. — But wishes dont always come true. At least, not as expected. Only when Bee takes Tommy to meet a famous shark attack survivor and hard-core surfer does Tommy have the chance to live one day to the fullest.
And in the sun-kissed ocean off a California beach, Bee discovers that she has a few secret wishes of her own. . . .

Night of the Howling Dogs : Graham Salisbury

Based on a true story.   

DYLAN'S SCOUT TROOP goes camping in Halape, a remote spot below the volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii. The only thing wrong with the weekend on a beautiful, peaceful beach is Louie, a tough older boy. Louie and Dylan just can't get along. — That night an earthquake rocks the camp, and then a wave rushes in, sweeping everyone and everything before it. Dylan and Louie must team up on a dangerous rescue mission. The next hours are an amazing story of survival and the true meaning of leadership.

I Survived the Eruption of Mount St. Helens, 1980 (I Survived, Bk 14)  : Lauren Tarshis     

I put more of these on my wishlist.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/22/2017 4:43 PM ET

Turned to The Circle Opens series by Tamora Pierce.  First one, Magic Steps was quite good.

Last Edited on: 3/22/17 4:43 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 3/26/2017 9:38 PM ET

I'm liking Madeleine Roux's Asylum series.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2017 1:05 PM ET

Wow!  Good to see you all posting your reads here.  I read a children's book called Theatre Shoes by Noah Streatfeild which a young member of the family did not like. Her mother thinks it was too old for her so I checked it out.  Also plan to read The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  Read four graphics that did not appeal to another young family member.  It's so hard to search for books for family members by just descriptons.  Even reading the ages of those reading the books doesn't always work.  Now into Wonder which won a number of awards.

Decided to finish the Faerie Wars series.  I completed The Purple Emperor by Herbie Brennan and Ruler of the Realm.  Purple was quite good, better than the first in the trilogy.  Rating it four stars.  Ruler was well done, too.  Good series.  Will be working on Tamora Pierce's The Circle Opens series next.  Finished books 1 and 2.  Now on to 3.  Good reading for the young.  Wonder was a wonderful read.

Last Edited on: 5/27/17 10:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 8:55 PM ET

The Murder of an Angel James PattersonMaxine Paetro          The 4th book in the series.  I have liked all of them.

Hit and RunLurlene Mcdaniel                                                        First book I have read by this author.  I enjoyed it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/27/2017 10:09 PM ET

These sound like interesting reads Lisa.  Just finished Kid Lawyer by John Grisham.  Thought it was a bit simple in the beginning and I wasn't certain about the ending as it left the reader hanging.  So it goes.  Now I've completed a series by Tamora Pierce, The Circle Opens, with Shatterglass.  Really enjoyed this one.  Tris is a fun heroine who finds herself teaching an adult how to use his magic.  Magic that he aquired when he was struck by lightening.  Together she and Keth must work with Dima and Tris's teacher to track a killer who is targeting beautiful female entertainers.  I am now reading Bee Season by Myla Goldberg, which has been on my TBR for a long time.   I have mixed feelings about this one.  Has anyone else read it?  Ah, its been awhile since I've been here but I wanted to share that I read Crispin, a rather interesting tale about a thirteen year old boy who has just lost his mother and is on the run because he has been blamed for a theft and a murder, neither of which he committed.  

Last Edited on: 12/16/17 2:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 7
Page: