Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Historical Romance E-book Freebies (And Cheapies!), Get Yours Here!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/11/2023 8:25 PM ET

It may be a slow burn, Jan, but it sure is a good one. I remember liking it especially because of the insights of the late 1800's military/fort lifestyles.

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/15/2023 12:32 PM ET

that's it exactly Regina.  a slow burn....

And, yes, her frontier stories at giving those insights to a different way of life.  

I remember reading wagon train stories in my tween years and thinking "gosh, it would be really cool to travel across our country like that".  And, then, I saw an actual wagon and saw how tiny it was and went "ah....no thanks!"

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/7/2023 11:09 AM ET

The Work Of Art by Mimi Matthews is temporarily free on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Google, Apple, and Kobo

(Hope this is a good link, I'm terrible with links  on iPhone)

https://mimimatthews.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a4f9a4e2e04d08439eb415ed2&id=647b93ddc6&e=5ff9188f63

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/7/2023 11:17 AM ET

And it's a good one, too, Jayelsee! Worth the download, for sure. Btw, the link works just fine.

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Theresa Romain book
Date Posted: 3/9/2023 1:58 PM ET

For anyone who is a fan of Theresa Romain, her book The Viscount's Inconvenient Temptation, is free at Amazon right now. It was previously released under another title, "Season for Temptation". 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8525BMW

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Valerie Bowman
Date Posted: 3/10/2023 8:43 PM ET

The Footman and I by Valerie Bowman is free at Amazon right now. I haven't read it yet, but it looks like a romcom tyoe story, with an Earl masquerading as a foorman. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085MP7Z9H?tag=valebowmbook-20

jayelsee avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Mimi Matthews
Date Posted: 6/1/2023 7:05 PM ET

"The Work of Art" by Mimi Matthews is temporarily free on Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Apple and Google.  (Mimi Matthews--one of my favorite romance novelists, non-explicit but super swoon-worthy).

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2023 7:20 PM ET

So true, Jayelsee! And for those on the fence about it, Work of Art is really good. Swoon-worthy for sure!

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Mary Jo Putney
Date Posted: 6/6/2023 10:28 AM ET

Mary Jo Putney's book, Shattered Rainbows, is free on Kindle! This is part of her Fallen Angels series, but you don't have to read them in order to enjoy it.

An old book, but a great one! https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Rainbows-Fallen-Angels-Book-ebook/dp/B007A6TQOS?ref_=ast_author_dp

I plan to get it and reread it. 

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/6/2023 4:46 PM ET

Karin,

was just coming here to post that.  This is Michael's book, and I remember thinking "well, there's NO way she's gonna redeem Michael, no way, ain't gonna happen..." Well, being MJP, of course she did!

Jan

PS:  cheapie-another oldie-The Wedding Ring Quest by Carla Kelly is $1.99 on Kindle right now.  

Last Edited on: 6/6/23 4:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Michelle Diener-In A Treacherous Court
Date Posted: 6/16/2023 11:45 AM ET

I've got a great one today! Michelle Diener's Tudor series is being rereleased, and the first one, In A Treacherous Court is free for Kindle. I love these books. It's set in the court of Henry VIII, which makes a change from the usual Regency era stuff. I wish she would write more historicals, but she's switched to sci-fi and fantasy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5Y2RY5H

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Free Elizabeth Essex book
Date Posted: 8/8/2023 10:57 AM ET

After the Scandal by Elizabeth Essex in FREE for Kindle. It’s the 3rd in her Reckless Brides series, but you can definitely read it as a standalone. I love this book! 

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Subject: Mimi Matthews on sale!
Date Posted: 9/15/2023 9:33 AM ET

There are 2 Mimi Matthews books that you can pick up on Kindle today: The Work of Art is Free: hhttps://www.amazon.com/Work-Art-Regency-Romance-ebook/dp/B07SJM7XF6?ref_=ast_author_dp and The Belle of Belgrave Square is on sale for $1.99, I think today only: https://www.amazon.com/Belle-Belgrave-Square-Belles-London-ebook/dp/B09Q8H5VB4?ref_=ast_author_dp

Both great books, I loved them!

Last Edited on: 9/15/23 9:33 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Carla Kelly
Date Posted: 10/7/2023 3:13 PM ET

On Amazon.  A couple of Carla's Harlequin Historicals are on deal.

The Wedding Ring Quest is $1.99

The Admiral's Penniless Bride is $.99

I just re-read Penniless Bride a couple of weeks ago.  So so fabulous.  

An anthology "A Country Christmas" has been $1.99 as well.  That one seems to go on and off promo, so keep checking.  

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 10/7/2023 3:20 PM ET

Thanks, Jan. I reread Penniless Bride recently too, it's great!

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: more oldies but goodies
Date Posted: 10/14/2023 1:36 PM ET

Anyone know what's up with Harlequin Historicals and Amazon?  Wonder if it's "just" inflation...anyway, alot of them have gone up to $8.99...eck!

Mary Jo Putney's "Once a Rebel" is $1.99 today.  About a third of it is set in Baltimore which is different for her.  It's my favorite of her new-er series. 

Carla Kelly:  Her Hesitant Heart"-American west- is $1.99 as is "Marrying the Royal Marine"-Regency-third in her trilogy of half-sisters-and my favorite series of her Harlequins-$1.99.  

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 10/14/2023 2:27 PM ET

I've been getting most of my Harlequin Historicals used, here at PBS. I'm willing to wait for them.  

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/6/2023 1:38 PM ET

I've been stalking Amazon to see about Mary Balogh's Ravenswood series.  They've been $14.99-ouch-on Kindle.  Today, one of them finally dropped.  Remember Me-Phillipa's story, 2nd Ravenswood, is $2.99.  Really liked the first in this series and the excerpt in the book for the 2nd one.  Going to do my best to wait until after Christmas to dig into this one(something to look forward to).  We'll see if I can make it that far!

virgosun avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/6/2023 1:40 PM ET

Good luck, Jan! I would never last that long. LOL

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Elizabeth Chadwick, Carla Kelly and an update on "Remember Me".
Date Posted: 1/23/2024 1:37 PM ET

I know EC is historical fiction but we seem to be a bit more active over here than in the HF thread so I thought I'd post.

These 3 Chadwick's are $2.99:  The Wild Hunt, The Love Knot and A Marriage of Lions.  "Lions" has been htf in print here.  I got mine from Better World books and it shipped from England.  

There are a couple of other EC's that are $4.99 as well.  This ol' lady is finding it easier to read on Kindle sometimes-and ebooks definitely help with the storage issue in a smaller house!

On Amazon, Carla Kelly as a "box set" listed coming out on August 20th.  With authors Lauri Robinson and another author.  ASIN:  BOCNWD3DYZ.  

Also, with Kelly, anyone have any information on the "new"  "A Surgeon to Fight For"-is it a re-title of "A Surgeon's Lady"?

Ok, I held out to the new year read Mary Balogh's "Remember Me".  Ack!  I was so looking forward to it.  I've adored her from the very first.   This one just "missed" with me.  First off, I am not a fan of alot of internal dialogue-and this one had ALOT of it; It was NOT a "cup of coffee" book(meaning that if the H/H just sat down with a cup of coffee and talked, the conflict would be resolved) so that was appreciated. But I just kept thinking "get ON with it already..." Second, the great grandfather was a tyrant-and NOT a kind one.  One of his actions was really cruel.  The last quarter of the book was better but definitely not a highlight for me.  

Ok, that's my update so far!

Jan

Jerseygirltoo avatar
Date Posted: 1/23/2024 2:48 PM ET

Thanks, Jan C. I've got Remember Me from the library, but I haven't started it yet. because I'm reading Mimi Matthews "The Lily of Ludgate Hill".  

I looked up the Kelly book, "A Surgeon To Fight For" and it's sibtitled  "Lord Ratliffe's Daughters", so yes, this looks like a reissue of  "A Surgeon's Lady"..  

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Nora Roberts fans
Date Posted: 3/12/2024 5:04 PM ET

Over on Amazon, NR's "Identity" is $1.99 today.  Not bad for a title that still has a wish list here.  And...I borrowed it from my library-really liked it.  

Page: