Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Fantasy

Topic: book recommendations

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
PhoenixFire avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Subject: book recommendations
Date Posted: 3/19/2013 9:16 AM ET

I really liked Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, and plan on rereading and finishing Robert Jordan's series.  I don't plan on reading George R.R. Martin because I refuse to get into the series and wait another ten years for this man to finish his book. I will only read it when the series is definatetly finished. I also have read Gail R. Martin and the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.  I am looking for similar books.  No urban fantasy please.  I am interested in the medieval/magic similar to above listed authors.

GO!

EmilyKat avatar
Limited Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2013 11:28 PM ET
Before Patricia Briggs wrote urban fantasy, she wrote fantasy. There is Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood, the two Hurog books. Then there was another series about bird names, Raven Strike?
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/21/2013 12:55 AM ET

You might look at "Curse of Chalion" by  Lois McMaster Bujold.  This is followed by "Paladin of Souls".  There are at least two other books set in the same universe, but not connected beyond that. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/4/2013 9:25 AM ET

Pick up Janet Evonowich or Sandra Brown

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 6/29/2013 12:07 PM ET

I was recently blow away by "The Color of Distance" by Amy Thomson.

Judye / maysied

eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2013 11:31 PM ET

Kristin Cashore Graceling (Seven Kingdoms, Bk 1)Fire (Seven Kingdoms, Bk 2), and Bitterblue (Seven Kingdoms, Bk3)

C. E. Murphy wrote a fantasy duology that made my keeper shelf!  Truthseeker (Worldwalker, Bk 1) and Wayfinder (Worldwalker, Bk 2)

Anne McCaffrey wrote the Dragonriders of Pern series.  Lots of books in the series, not sure what order they should be read in......

Generic Profile avatar
Ronda (RONDA) - ,
Date Posted: 10/5/2013 10:04 PM ET

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (2008)

this is the one that jumps to mind when I think of what have i read similar to the wheel of time and codex alera.
I havent read brandon sanderson (except wheel of time), but I think his other series is in a similar vein.

this one also came to mind... but this guy is also having a problem with finishing his series.
DieHard avatar
Bruce -
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2013 8:54 AM ET

Patrick Rothfuss' books are fantastic but as Ronda mentioned, we are still waiting on Book #3. Have you read Peter V. Brett's "The Warded Man" series? It is outstanding. And I would highly, highly recommend  The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. It is an epic novel in the vein of George R.R. Martin and LOTR. The second book in the series "The Sell Sword" is due out in November. It takes a while to get going but you'll be glad you stayed with it in the end.

doctordanger99 avatar
Date Posted: 1/28/2014 3:37 PM ET

i think you should give game of thrones a try. yes the series isnt finished and it looks like it might be awile but its so great. just pace yourself. i read the first two books over a period of a few months and am getting ready to start the third but im in no rush.

then again i like doing that to books in a series. i read one and leave the series alone for awile and then come back and do another entry.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/8/2014 2:00 AM ET

If you haven't yet, you can try some Dragonlance starting with Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

You might also look into The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore

Or The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

Last Edited on: 2/8/14 2:01 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/12/2014 2:40 PM ET

Robin Hobb. Start with the Farseer trilogy.

Trudi Canavan. Start with the Black Magician trilogy.

Both excellent, excellent series, exactly what you are looking for.

Also Karen Miller. Try the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series.

Anne Bishop. The Black Jewels series.

Jacqueline Carey. The Kushiel series.

Diana Pharoah Frances. Path of Fate series.

Carol Berg. anything.

I also second the recommendation for Brent Weeks.

Last Edited on: 2/12/14 2:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
brightstar avatar
Date Posted: 5/26/2014 10:50 PM ET

"I was recently blow away by "The Color of Distance" by Amy Thomson. "

Great book that I'd highly recommend too; but it's hard sci-fi, not fantasy.

Guy Gavriel Kay has written some great series and stand alone Medieval inspired fantasy novels. His style is a bit different from Jordan, Goodkind, and Brooks (from what I remember of them).

Katherine Kurtz's Denyri novels.

Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Triad (first book is Bone Doll's Twin) and Night Runner series.

Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold, a stand alone novel with a kick ass heroine from the same world as his even better First Law Trilogy.

Under the Dragon's Claw (heartstone talisman) by Alex George.  Stand alone, only on kindle I think.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Books!
Date Posted: 7/24/2014 1:10 PM ET

Have you read Garth Nix's Abhorsen series? Amazing!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/31/2014 9:48 PM ET

Eragon by Christopher Paolini and the rest of the series were very good imo. Better than some of the 'masters'. I listened to it on audio and it was fantastic.

turtle10312001 avatar
Date Posted: 9/3/2014 4:28 PM ET

Hello!!

I am very much interested in the same books, and also refuse to read George R.R. Martin until he is done. In the mean time, I have stumbled across K.F. Breene. She has a fantastically captivating writing style in Chosen, though I read the book before realizing the series is not complete. She should have her next book out by early next year. In the mean time, you may consider starting with her darkness series. 

She also writes romance, rather then sticking to just one genre. But her fantasy books are quite fantastic. 

Happy Reading!